Saturday night...(*The internet was not dependable last night, So I’m posting this Sunday morning, before I head to the airport in Tegus*) I'm tucked in to the Hotel Maya, in Tegucigalpa (commonly referred to as Tegus), after a fun travel day. We were up early, checked out of the Hotel in Catacamas, and on the road by 8am. Usually, Medical Brigade teams are taken to Valle de Angeles, on their way to Tegus. Last year, Jen and I had to carpool with a gentleman who needed to get to the airport right away, so we missed the side trip. After a beautiful ride through Sugar Cane fields and farmland, we stopped about 30 minutes outside of Tegucigalpa. Valley of the Angles is a town filled with shops, food stalls, local artisans, live music, and carnival rides. It's a hot spot for visiting tourists, but also for locals, which comprised most of the people we saw today. The weather was gorgeous, and tonight is the first night of the Fair in that area of Olancho, so the streets were filling with cowboys on horseback by the time we left. We had lunch there, and spent a few hours walking around the town, checking out the shops. We arrived at the Hotel a little after 3pm, checked in, and I walked around the plaza a bit, and sat out on the patio, before meeting the others for dinner. The Hotel is quite lovely, with a beautiful view of the city, and a very attentive staff.  Each time I've been here, I think "I need to stay a couple extra days next time!" Tegus is the Capital of Honduras, located on a chain of mountains, and it’s sprawling population is over 1.15 million. The metropolitan area of Tegucigalpa and Comayagüela is officially divided into barrios and colonias and there are currently 892 of them. This is where I gave up on the internet, and went to bed. :) In true Big City fashion, I was woken up by the patio bar, below my window...it's not appropriate to get started before 10pm here. I drifted off around 1am, woke back up around 4am, and opened my curtains to watch the sun rise over the mountains and skyline. After a delicious breakfast, I am now sitting in the beautiful lobby, sorting through photos, and trying to ignore the plethora of thoughts and ideas in my head. The post trip wind down. I have a long day of travel, with 3 planes and 4 airports, before I am hunkered down at my folks' place. My trip to Haiti will approach faster than expected, and I'll be back in touch with you soon. Thanks again, for sharing this trip with me, and making it possible with you financial and emotional support! The people of Honduras are grateful and send their blessings. Buenos Dias!






















Comments