Friday evening...The last day of my work here is finished. I am sitting on my bed, in my hotel room, with my sliding door open to the street. The street is a cacophony of sound, the bus stop across the street is busy with people leaving the city for the weekend, the street venders are selling food and goods to travelers, motorcycles and taxis are dropping off and picking up, children are crying, dogs are barking, people are laughing and talking. I love these sounds. It is why I asked to be on the second floor, facing the street. I love to hear the town wake up and I love to hear it tuck in for the evening. Yesterday was the last day of lectures, and the last opportunity for all of us to practice scanning as a team. Everyone received Diplomas of Training, hugs and thanks were shared, photos were taken. Last night, JM and I had dinner with Martha, the VP of Predisan in Honduras, her family, and two of the Director Physicians. Dr. Javier has been part of the training, and Dr. Sergio was in last years training, so I was so pleased to see him again. Dinner was delicious, of course, but it was also a wonderful opportunity for me to discuss the Ultrasound needs of the clinic, talk about future training plans, and offer suggestions and references (myself included), and brainstorm about the future of Predisan Clinics. It was a wonderfully productive dinner, and I had not had this opportunity on my last visit. This morning, a small group of us drove up to Predisan's Women's Health Clinic, in Culmi, which is about 1.5 hour drive up into the hills. I love the drive to Culmi, up into the mountains, through farmland and pine forests. There are always horses and cattle on the road, and usually sheep and chickens scattered about. JM and I worked with Dr. Erick Cerna, seeing mostly pregnant women, and giving him some advanced training. Dr. Erick started scanning last year, when I was here, and he is now in charge of the Women's Clinic in Culmi. There's a photo of us posted below, that you will better appreciate if I tell you a little more about Dr. Erick. He is one of the most chill, even keeled, guys I've ever met. He speaks softly and evenly, all the time. As do most Hondurans, he has a great sense of humor, and is a great sport about me teasing him. At the clinic today, I was showering him with well deserved compliments, in my usual enthusiastic manner, about his increased scanning skills, how fantastic the clinic has been doing since I was here last, etc... In typical Dr. Erick fashion, he responded (soft and almost deadpan) "Thank you."  I started cracking up and proceeded to tell give my best Dr. Erick impression...(even toned and deadpan) "I'm excited. I'm angry. I'm happy." This cracked him up, and everyone in the room, which led to the tough-guy photo you'll see below. JM and I were rewarded with more hugs and kind words, when we left Erick this afternoon. We had a late lunch and wrap up meeting with Dulce and Johnny, then JM and I were dropped of here at the hotel for a couple hours before we go to dinner tonight. In fact, it's time I get ready, so I'll finish up later tonight...
Well, that was another incredible dinner! Dulce came to the Hotel and the three of us walked a few blocks to a new restaurant in town, The Tilapia Grill. This is the 3rd restaurant owned by a local Tilapia farm, which I had eaten at last year. We were joined by Dulce's husband and 18 month old son, and her In-laws, who were all so wonderful. We ate fresh, fried tilapia, with crispy skin on the outside and a tender, juicy center, and tangy, flavorful seafood soup, with fresh lime squeezed into it. Ridiculous. It was a perfect ending to a fantastic week, which makes me so happy to be here, and sad to be leaving so soon. I have so many notes and lists of future plans and ideas. Every trip I take makes me more excited to take another one. I haven't slept very well all week, I'm anxious to get back to the gym, I long for a huge salad...and looser pants...but I can't wait to come back. I feel lucky and blessed and grateful. Thanks for sharing it with me. Buenas!




















Comments