Monday night...It's almost 10pm, Honduran time, and I've officially hit the wall. I was up early this morning, putting in an hour of work before breakfast at 7am, and I've put in another couple of hours of work tonight, as well. Jeanne Marie and I arrived at Predisan Clinic a little before 8am, met the Clinicians we would be training (4 of whom I had worked with last year), and jumped in to lectures and hands-on training. I received a wonderful, warm welcome from everyone I met last year, which is always a nice feeling. The people I work with on these trips have such an impact on me, and I am never sure if I will see them again, even if I have plans to return. Hondurans, especially the people at Predisan, are so warm and friendly. It was hard when I left last year and so wonderful to be back. Back to our day...After introductions, I handed out notes and a pretest, and gave the first lecture. We split into 2 groups for hands-on training until lunch, then got back together for more training after lunch, and an afternoon lecture from JM. As usual, I am working on presentations as I go. This is not ideal, but the lecture topics given to us in the states encompass a broad subject matter, which I try to narrow down once I arrive and can get specifics from the Clinicians. We have four days to fill their heads with as much information as possible, the 5th day being spent at one of the remote clinics. My long term goal, one of many, is to put together a library of lectures that I can bring on every trip. My library will contain lectures on all of the specific subjects in my field (such as 1st Trimester OB, Thyroid, Abdomen, etc...), and I can present which ever lectures are requested, without spending an additional 5+ hours every day putting lectures together. It's a work in progress and I would like to think I get better with every trip, but it sure feels like a slow evolving process. After the last lecture of the day, Johnny took JM and I to the new mall, for Papusas. Oh, how I love Papusas! Thick corn masa filled with salty quesilla...what's not to love?  Johnny has been with Predisan Clinic for quite some time, and he is one of the Coordinators of Medical Brigades. He is always cheerful, incredibly hard working, and has a great sense of humor. He's such a blessing to have on these trips and I was overjoyed to see him again, as well as his wife and young son, who joined us for dinner last night. I've put in another couple of hours on lectures tonight, and I'll be heading to bed as soon as I wrap this up. Tomorrow, JM will give the morning and afternoon lectures, but it's all me on Wednesday and Thursday. Until then, Buenos Noches!






Comments