Buenos! It's Sunday, I am sitting outside my Hotel room, taking a brain break, and catching you all up on my day. The flights were uneventful yesterday, and although it was a long drive from the airport to Catacamas, Honduras is as beautiful as I remembered. This is the end of rainy season here, so it can be hot and sunny one minute, torrential downpour the next, with lush trees and bright flowers everywhere. A Sonographer from Texas is on this trip with me, and this is her first Medical Mission. Her name is Jeanne Marie, she has a strong background of teaching and OB Ultrasound, and we've had a great day working together. To be honest, we also had a nice break by the pool, sharing stories and laughs, while we get to know each other. After lunch, we got back to work, and have spent most of the day working on presentations and lesson plans for the week. I was so exhausted last night, from no sleep the night before, that I hit the sack early last night. At 5am this morning, I was wide awake...how does my brain change time zones?!? I feel like I ALWAYS wake up at 5am, whether I'm in Haiti, Honduras, or the US. I eventually got up and explored a little of the neighborhood around the hotel, trying to remember from last year what is the same and what has changed. Last night, there was some sort of Fiesta at the end of the block, with loud music, people in costumes, and fireworks. This might explain the minimal number of people on the streets this morning. The most noticeable change is that there is now a Veterinary Clinic directly across the street from the Hotel. This is quite intriguing, because as is often the case in the countries I travel to, there is a low or non existent level of care towards domestic animals here. Last night, a dog was struck by a car, in front of the Hotel, and it ran into a local shop (possibly where it lives?), screaming and limping, and no one blinked an eye. I see very few cats, but there are numerous dogs all over the city and countryside here. It reminds me of when I lived in the Caribbean, where the dogs may have been "owned", but they mostly ran loose. Jeanne Marie and I are getting picked up soon, and taken to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in town. Yes...there will be food pictures from this trip. :) Send us good thoughts for tomorrow, the first day is always the most chaotic, but I am excited to meet the new "students" and be reunited with the Doctors I worked with last year. So far, the Wi-Fi has been great, so I'll try to write every night. Buenos Noches!










Comments