Thursday night... I decided to sleep in this morning...until 5:30am. ;) The clouds snuck in last night, so we missed the Milky Way this morning, but the brightest stars and planets were still out. After breakfast, the medical team headed back downstairs for another full day in the clinic, and the rest of the team (a lot of them Board members of HFH) attended agriculture meetings, worked on various solar and energy projects, and visited some of the local public health programs. I had the opportunity to visit the women's trade school today, and will be sure to post pictures. We also had our Team picture today with the Haitian staff, which was a little bit like herding cats! I have been working with an interpreter, Celestin, all week and he has been fantastic. He speaks Creole, English, French, and a little Spanish. He started his own English language school and now has three other teachers working for him. Celestin learned English from a group of Dr's that came to Haiti years ago, so some of his English words have a southern twang. He has the most wonderful sense of humor, which he needs to be working with me all week! Every moment that I am working in the clinic, or giving lectures after clinic hours, Celestin has been there to interpret for me, and we now refer to ourselves as brother and sister. Today, his wife (Shella) came to visit us at the clinic, and you cannot imagine a more ridiculously adorable couple. They were so much fun to have around this morning! By the time she left at lunch, she was hugging and kissing me goodbye and asking when I will return. I had another full day teaching and scanning, then taught another didactic course tonight after the clinic. Tonight, at our roof top wrap up meeting, we were sharing moments during the day that meant something special or hopeful to us. Last evening, a family brought their 2 year old daughter to the clinic, who was very ill. She was sent to me, by one of the Haitian Dr's, for an ultrasound and, unfortunately, I found multiple problems and pathologies. Dr. Joe and two of our amazing RN's (Katie and Michele) met with the Haitian Dr. and I, as we tried to figure out the best plan of care for her and how we could get her a pediatric consult. The family was with her while we all gathered around her and, at the time, I truly felt like I had a very minor role in what was taking place. This morning, on my way to the trade school, Pastor Delamy stopped me because the little girl's father recognized me. He wanted Delamy to bring me over so I could see her, and they let me know that transportation was coming to take her to the Medical School Teaching Hospital. I was so floored that this man recognized me, in the midst of everything that was going on with his daughter, and all of the wonderful staff that were working so hard for her.  The appreciation of this family, and all of the patients, has been the most wonderful, humbling experience for me. It has also filled me with such a sense of purpose and gratitude. Which brings me to another Favorite Caribbean moment... A cold shower, after a long, sticky day in clinics, with a gecko chirping in the window. :) I have a good solid hour of work to do, if I want to leave Mme. Bluette with more study material, so I'm signing off. Wishing you all a good night! Bon Nuit.mox

Comments