Saturday evening and I'm hoping to get another post in before tonight's storm rolls in. Another wonderful, busy day here inTerre Blanche. The Haitian alarm clocks consist of burros, roosters an dogs, and they usually go off somewhere between 3 and 5am. Our mornings begin with rooftop coffee and tea and watching the sunrise over the mountains. I'm still having trouble loading and posting photos, I have no idea if the couple I've tried so far have managed to post, so I will post a sunrise picture later (if I can!). Immediately after breakfast, Dr. joe hollered for the RN's and I to come down to the clinic. The clinic is open Monday through Friday, but patients come at all times for emergencies. Thus began my day of scanning patients. I ended up scanning patients for most of the day, which frankly made me so happy, and useful. The team meets up for meals and after dinner we all had a meeting in the clinic to go over how the clinic runs, then we gathered outside for our daily "wrap up", to talk about our experiences of the day. The compound is a series of buildings within a walled area, that first became a dream almost 15 years ago, when the Markee's met the pastor from Terre Blanche. It started with a small cinder block church and has grown to a series of buildings used for kindergarten, secondary school, housing for staff, the clinic, and a kitchen where they feed close to 1,000 students a day. I think I may have mentioned that Terre Blanche is one of the poorest areas in Haiti, so it's quite amazing to see what they've accomplished here. There is now a trade school for young women, and HFH is in the process of developing a micro loan and agriculture program. I will sign off with my two favorite Caribbean moments of the day... Fresh passion fruit juice for lunch and the most succulent mangoes served at dinner! Two of my favorite things about living in the Caribbean. :) I can hardly wait to see what tomorrow has in store for me. Sleep well, everyone! Ox

Comments

  1. I'll be back to read more! I love that you're documenting your adventures here, Jo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment