Sunday night...Sweet Honey Mustard, what a day! Once the donkey and rooster alarms went off, a small group of us began the day on the roof, sometime between 5 and 6am, to watch the sunrise. It's such a fantastic way to start the day here. After breakfast, we joined the town at church, which is located within our compound. A number of neighboring towns sent their church choirs to sing for us, so the entire service took about 3 hours! MTI and HFH are Christian based organizations, and there is a strong religious component in Haiti. The primary religious groups here are Christian, Voodoo, and Catholic, although the Catholicism here is more of a Catholic and Voodoo combo. By the time church was over, there was already a long line of patients waiting around the clinic building, even though the clinic wasn't open until tomorrow morning. Needless to say, the decision was made to open the clinic after lunch for a few hours. I won't bore my non-medical readers with too many details, but I will tell you that I scanned as many patients in 4 hours as I would have in one of my busy 10 hour shifts at home! This was triage ultrasound at its finest. One of the Dr's would say "I need an ultrasound in this room, she says she hurts all over. Tell me what you find." And off I would go, to scan everything, and then tell the Dr what I found. I've seen more pathology in a couple of hours than I see in a week. I feel like I'm getting so much experience here. Once we finally closed the clinic, we had dinner up in the roof. It had rained again this afternoon, so the rooftop was cool, and the sunset was stunning. Most of us stayed on the roof, after dinner and wrap up, and we were rewarded with the most incredible light show. Terre Blanche is surrounded by a ring of mountains, so there was a ring of clouds along the mountain tops, but the center of the sky was clear. I have never seen horizontal lightening in my life, until tonight. Long strands of lightening went off, for hours, just about the mountain horizon. In the center of the sky was the Milky Way and about a gazillion stars. We sounded like a group of people at the 4th of July...(lightening goes off) "Ooooooooooh!! (We all look up at the stars) Aaaaaaaaaahhhhh!" :) Another incredible day is over in the Caribbean. Bon Nuit! Ox

Comments