It's Friday night and I'm in Haiti!! I'm hopeful that this post goes out tonight, in spite of a stunning tropical lightning storm blowing over our part of the island. After a sketchy hour or so of sleep (photo with proof of my 4am look below), I headed back to JKF and boarded my flight. I met a few of my team members at the gate, which was nice. The moment I got off the plane I was hit with a wonderful sense of nostalgia, from my years + of living in Grenada. There was a creole band playing at the gate and the warm, sultry air hit us as soon as we deplaned. I'm one of the few people I know that actually enjoys humidity! :) once we retrieved out luggage, we piled into 3 trucks and began the 4 hour ride north to Terre Blanc, one of the poorest areas in Haiti. There are quite a few similarities between Haiti and Grenada, however the poverty is more extreme here, as well as the population number. Most of the group has been here before, only a few of us are newbies, although I am the only one who is not related to or know someone on this trip. My love of change and newness is quite fulfilled by this trip. Once arriving at the compound, we unloaded our gear, grabbed our designated cot, and had a quick tour of the living quarters before sitting down to a delicious dinner. There is a team of Haitian women who run the kitchen and keep us well fed. After dinner, we took a tour of the clinic, and those of us medical professionals had a brief meeting with Dr. Joe. Once completed, most of us sat out on the covered porch to watch the lightening show. We are all jet lagged, yet none of us seem ready to tuck in yet, so various groups are hanging out in the dining area or back on the porch....so....thanks to the storm, I'm unable to post my pictures, at this point. I'm going to attempt to send this blog and will hopefully follow up with pictures later. Hope all is well stateside. Bon Soir!

Comments