My last day at Clinica Medico de Buen Pastor...
After a little bit of a late start, thanks to muddy roads from the rain, I gave my final lecture to the staff. The advantage of lecturing to a group of Dr's is that I don't have to spend a lot of time explaining anatomy, or medical terminology, which allows me more time to talk about pathology and the usefulness of ultrasound as a diagnostic tool. Considering the short amount of time I have to teach here, that makes a world of difference. It was also helpful that Dr's Cruz and Nester have scanned, so I could help them refine their skills, instead of starting at the beginning. When I finished, and asked for feedback, it was decided that I should come back...and stay for a month! To which Fransisco replied "If you stay for a month, eating all the food, you will need stretchy yoga pants and sweatshirt!" Hilarious! And so true. :)
My little angel returned to the clinic today, unfortunately worse. Her fever was constant and she cried every time we touched her abdomen. I scanned her again, trying to look for the problem, tracking the shunt that was put in at birth, and trying to be as gentle as possible. She is the most forgiving little sweetheart. When I stopped, and cleaned her off, she still reached for me with her hands. When I gave her kisses, which she loves, she blew kisses back to me. We've referred her to the hospital in Tegucigalpa, in hopes that a CT will help find the problem. Please keep her and her loving family in your thoughts this week. I know I will.
I've got a quiet Friday night planned. Fransisco and I had a late lunch today in town. He took me to Papusas Rincon Catracho, a local restaurant that specializes in Papusas. Papusas are actually from El Salvador, but they are very popular in Honduras. Imagine a thick, corn masa tortilla, stuffed with quesilla (Honduran cheese) and served with cabbage slaw and crunchy, tangy onions marinated in vinegar. Wash them down with a huge glass of fresh passion fruit juice, and what you have is a meal made in heaven...and a need for stretchy yoga pants. Thanks to that late lunch, my dinner consisted of a bag of plantain chips, which were amazing, by the way. Tomorrow, I will have a mellow, relaxing day on my own at the hotel. I will have plenty of time to organize my notes from this past week, and prepare for next week. Another Sonographer will be joining me on Sunday, which will be nice. Happy Friday, everyone!



Comments