Monday in Olancho...
Let me start with the important stuff...I will not starve here. In fact, there's a very good chance that I will require massive stretchy pants when I return! The hotel where I'm staying, Plaza Maria in Catacamas, has a small restaurant attached. For breakfast, you have three options, two of which are more "American " style. I chose the "Typicos" Honduran breakfast, without the chorizo, and I was not disappointed. Two fresh corn tortillas, amazing black beans (Hondurans are quite proud of their beans!), avocado, fresh crema (similar to sour cream), fried plantains, fresh, salty local cheese, and scrambled eggs. I haven't eaten eggs in years, but these eggs were incredible. I'm pretty sure they just popped out of the chicken, straight into the pan. Bananas and watermelon were available, also. Seriously. This was breakfast. I spent 6 hours at the clinic, then we went to lunch at a local restaurant that serves fresh fried tilapia, farmed on site, and fresh fried plantain chips. Yes...I took a picture. I'm being taken out to dinner tonight and I don't know how I'll manage. It's only my first day here! Catacamas is in the province of Olancho and has a population of about 100,000. The clinic I am working with next week is here in Catacamas. The clinic I am working with this week is in a small town a few miles away, called Santa Maria de Real. There is a Dental Resident at the clinic who has been acting as my interpreter. He is 23 years old and so outgoing and friendly, his family lives in Catacamas and he moved back here for his dental residency at the clinic. He gave me a tour of Catacamas on the way back from the clinic today, along with some insight into Honduran culture. He spoke very highly of the people of Catacamas. He said that, although there are many poor people here, they really look out for one another and there are not many truly homeless people in town. The community builds homes for each other, so that everyone at least has four walls and a roof over their head. Catcamas recently had the equivalent of our local Rodeo and Fair, that usually goes on for a month. A carnival comes to town, their are horse races, rode events, dirt bike and 4-wheeler racing, and other events that occur mainly on the weekends. I'm sorry to say that I just missed the festivities, but I managed to get a shot of the carnival rides packing up. I'm going to find my stretchiest skirt and get ready for dinner. :) Adios!













Comments