Saturday. May 6, 2023, 7am

It's hard to believe it's Saturday already! We will offer lectures all day today, tomorrow will be a safrai (thanks to the generosity of the Director of ITW), one more day of lectures and hands-on training on Monday, then test the trainees on Tuesday. Wednesday morning, they will head home, and we will await the second group of trainees, who will arrive in the afternoon and evening. I am sitting at my usual spot at the end of our long dining table, wrapped in a beautiful Maasai Shuka (the stunning blankets Maasai are known for and another gift from James), sipping a warm cup of delicious Kenyan tea. 

There is a large room next to the dining area, in the training center, that is open to visiting guests and anyone staying at the training center. It is an education room dedicated to the education and sharing of Maasai culture, Mara conservation, sustainable land practices, beekeeping, wildlife conservation, etc...
If you haven't done so already, please look at their website.







The chefs and kitchen crew at the training center have been so incredible and accommodating, especially to me. I am unable to eat eggs and meat, which are prime staples in the local diet. The staff have been making me separate meals, sometimes completely different than what the others are eating. I think I have finally convinced them how much I love the local food, and they already make me the most beautiful salads, so my meals yesterday were incredible! Ugali is a Kenyan staple, Posho in Uganda, made of ground corn. White and brown rice are also common. Sukuma Wiki is a dish made of thinly sliced collard greens, sauteed with onions, and in this case thinly sliced cabbage. Maharagwe is red kidney beans cooked in coconut milk, which I believe is also how they have prepared the lentils and chickpeas that they have been serving. They have also served me sauteed Tilapia, which was so fresh and delicate. Talk about delicious! It will be a miracle if I fit into any of my clothes by the end of this trip. :D


 
The crew is arriving, breakfast is being served and it's time to get back to work! Hoping you all have a wonderful day. Signing off from the Mara.
Much love, Jo (MB)

Comments

  1. Love all of this! I'm showing Ellie the pictures and she is shocked at how close the animals are. The expectant moms in your earlier photo are just beautiful women! 😍

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment