Monday, May 15, 2023

It’s another morning at the training center without power or Wi-Fi. I am here at my usual early time, along with the head chef and kitchen crew, who always seem to be in a cheerful mood. It was explained to me that because the training center uses more electricity (the kitchen appliances, lights and electricity in the conference/training room, etc…) that they often run out of power when the staff quarters and eco camp are fine. The sun is rising, and the solar panels will soon charge, and power and Wi-Fi will be restored. Patience. In the meantime, I will continue writing and hope to share this later today.

Yesterday was a day off for everyone, with breakfast being served an hour later than usual. While the others slept in, I finished a lecture on 1st Trimester OB Pathology and made some changes on the morning recap and quiz lecture for today. By the time we all joined for breakfast, I was more than ready to take a day off!

The Training Center is approximately 3 km from the Naretoi/House of the Wild, where the luxury tourist cabins are. All the guests had checked out, so Liz (our Kenya Coordinator for ITW) planned for us to spend the day there, getting a tour of the stunning property and some of the cabins. All I can say is “WOW!”. The owners, who I have met and are so charming, have done an exceptional job of designing and decorating the property and cabins, using local artists and talent. The attention to detail was impeccable, down to the Maasai beading on the door handles. Some of the cabins have a direct view of the Mara River, inhabited by a large family of Hippos. Can you have too many photos of Hippos? I think not. 😊 There were bicycles available, a badminton court, and plenty of options to just relax and admire the scenery. There is a wonderful gift shop on the property, filled with beautiful clothing, jewelry and other gifts and items, all sourced from Kenya. Thank goodness I did not have my wallet, or I would have had to get a second job when I return home. If you ever have the opportunity (and funds!) to come to Mara North, I highly recommend House of the Wild.  I had the chance to talk with Jimmy, the Manager, and he explained in detail the history of the transition from family farm to Nature Conservancy and how greatly and positively it has impacted the community. Income from international groups renting the Training Center, allow the owners to offer Conservation, Ranger and Farming training to the local Maasai for free, all the working staff are locals and much of the food for guests is supplied locally. The Maasai hold wildlife in high esteem and love and appreciate the reintroduction of animals back into the Mara. There is no industry in this area, so the farmers are self-sustaining, depending on their farms for income and living. It’s quite incredible to witness. Starting next weekend, the cabins will all be booked and will remain so through December. The great migration of Wildebeest, occurring back and forth between Tanzania and Kenya, will happen in July right through the Mara and the Mara River.

Godfrey, our group, and Jimmy at the front gate to House of the Wild.

A view of the original cabin at House of the Wild.

The pool and pool house.

One of the beautiful private cabins.

I want to live in this bathtub!

A view of the Mara River from one of the cabins.

Enjoying the bicycles and giving some lessons.

Badminton 

A family gathering of hippos, seen from one of the cabins.

Hippo mom, celebrating Mother's Day by being harassed by her kid. Anyone relate?


Who doesn't love this face?!?

Hippo tracks on the shore of the Mara River.

On the short drive back to the Training Center, Jimmy and Godfrey were kind enough to take a more scenic route, giving us a mini-Safari experience. Yet another afternoon of breathtaking scenery, herds of zebra and gazelles, Elan and wildebeest, and more elephants and giraffes! I am not sure how I will ever recover from this trip; I hope I never do. It is almost time for breakfast and another day of training and learning. One more week of this incredible experience, I feel like I have been here forever and that it is also going way too fast. Wishing you all a wonderful day.

Much love, Jo (MB)













The sign at the entrance of Naretoi.

Comments