Thursday May 4, 2023 7am

It's such a gorgeous morning here on the Mara! I did not sleep very well last night, giving up on sleep and getting up at 4am, but it's hard to be grouchy when you are surrounded by such beauty and so much nature. I am attempting to attach a video with sound, but the download is a bit much for the Wi-Fi here, so give it a try!

 https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fphotos.app.goo.gl%2FLg6xs9kdoTHWgZ666&data=05%7C01%7C%7C855c6c698ec446c7e55f08db4c587d33%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C638187715161554897%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=jbplA%2F81cOA9tsd4vZU0mmC42Xxl%2BjCzgSYw4beuX34%3D&reserved=0


Today's recap quiz lecture was a long one, covering the importance of correct interpretation of the cervix and placenta in pregnant mothers, so I spent many hours last night and this morning finishing it up. Without Wi-Fi I am not able to save my work to the cloud and when I was about to save to my desktop, my entire lecture disappeared. When I opened the tab for the lecture, it was completely blank. I am tech "competent", but not proficient by any means. I could not decide if I should cry or throw-up, at 5am with my tech genius Allan deep in slumber. After some serious deep breaths, and frantic searching, I managed to find it! I had to restore and resave, thank goodness I could, but it was a frantic start to my morning and a reminder of the challenges of teaching in this environment. 

A group of students decided to take a walk up the road during the afternoon break and invited me along. Our first stop was a tour of the wonderful garden, which grows most of what is served and eaten at here. It is completely organic with a large greenhouse, rows of vegetables, herbs, fruit and flowers, and a special greenhouse with worm composting bins. A few weeks ago, an elephant came to visit and wiped out many rows of vegetables, an occupational hazard when trying to blend sustainable farming practices with wildlife conservation.

 






The leftovers from the elephant buffet!

Breakfast is being served and our day is starting, so I will sign off now. Wishing you all a lovely day and sending love from Kenya.
Love, Jo (MB)


Comments