Sunday 2/29

I'm sitting on the Jet Blue flight, from Haiti to JFK, settled in for a 3 1/2 flight. Yesterday, we started our day at the usual time, with breakfast at 7am. Because there is another medical team coming in next week, there was no need for inventory to be done. We cleaned and locked up the clinic, packed our things, and headed to the Kaliko Resort. Traveling in Haiti is always like being in a time vacuum, it takes a long time to get anywhere, because of the road conditions and congestion in the small towns you must drive through. It took an hour and a half to drive about 50 miles. In spite of thorough roads, I have to admit that I love the drive, especially through the towns. The towns are crowded and poor and polluted, but they are also lively and interesting. The crowded markets are my favorite, and the Haitian people are truly beautiful. Once we made it to the resort, it took quite a while to get our rooms sorted, then we changed into swim suits and headed for the beach and pool. This was a different resort from my last visit, and quite crowded, but we had a wonderful time. A number of people had given me money to spend on the vendors, so I can sell and raffle  items at my fundraiser this summer, so I made sure to get my shopping done early. I love haggling with the vendors, they can be a bit aggressive for some people, but they are all great sports and have a good sense of humor, like most Haitians. This morning, our motley crew loaded the bags back into the truck at 6:45am, and we all met for breakfast, before the ride to the airport. Thanks to the Rum Punch, that most of us consumed, the group was a bit more subdued this morning. We were all pretty sure that the Rum used was some kind of Haitian moonshine...dangerously delicious. ;) We made it to the airport with time to spare, stocked up on last minute gifts and Rum (I passed on that!), and from my seat, it looks like most of the others are already napping. 

As expected, this trip was amazing and wonderful. I have so much to think about, learn, and prepare for my next trip. Haiti has a such a pull on my heart, it's no wonder to me that many people keep coming back. These trips are clearly not for everyone, and some people just cannot seem to get over the cultural differences, but for the rest of us, the hardest part is leaving. I was not able to say goodbye to Madame Bluette, and I can't stop thinking about the beautiful boy with CP. I have to go back. 

It's a slushy, snowy night in NY, I said goodbye to the crew at the airport, and I'm tucked in at the hotel. I've eaten my body weight in take out Chinese food and soon I will have my first hot shower in almost 2 weeks. Tomorrow, I head back to Billings and back to my "regular" life. I will leave you with a few photos, just to keep you coming back for more! :) Bon Nwit. 





Comments

  1. Jo you are such an amazing women. My family and I are so blessed to know you and have you in our lives. I can tell from your post how heart broken you are to leave those wonderful friends you have down there.

    Keep your head up and we'll see you soon. Love you Jo,

    The Childers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, so much, for your love and encouragement! See you soon. Oxox

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment