I've been home for two days now, and I still have Haiti brain, in more ways than one. Thanks to Mother Nature, everyone on the team had trouble getting back home on time. I finally made it home Monday, at midnight, and I've been working ever since! I have woken up, every night since I've been back, at 3:30am. That's 5:30am in Haiti, my usual wake up time. I've dreamt of Haiti the last two nights, too. My thoughts are consumed with the people of Terre Blanche. MTI wrote about it perfectly, in a volunteer packet they sent me...

"You've experienced another land, culture, way of life...another people. As you re-enter your own environment, you bring with you - in your mind, heart, and actions - part of that place you visited so that you don't fit in the same way as before your trip."

It's an odd feeling, although I expected it because of my prior trip. I have returned to an environment that is essentially unchanged, and I feel so changed inside. I don't have the luxury of taking a few days off to adjust, I won't have a full day off until next Wednesday, and I miss my team and the people of Terre Blanche. I've come home with a long list of books to read, subjects and topics to study, languages to learn, goals to work towards, and the feeling that there is so much more I can do to be more useful on future trips. It's overwhelming and exhausting and wonderful. Tonight, I'm just going to sort through my mail, have a glass of wine, and try to get a few hours of sleep, before I wake up early and head back to work. Wish me luck! :)




Comments