I've been burning the candle at both ends...yet again...but for good reason. I just spent a week at Denver Children's Hospital, getting Fetal Echo training, which was amazing! It's going to take a lot of extra work and time on my end, but I am really excited about it. Every time I have the opportunity to learn something new, I can't help but think about how I will be able to use my new skills for future trips. In the mean time, I still have a couple hundred photos to sort through, and share, so I'll get back to the task at hand...
On my first evening back in Terre Blanche, I wrote about the women cooking for the attendees of the Medical Conference. I'll be sharing those photos, as well as a few others, from the women who set up cooking stalls during the week of clinics. Here is the blog I wrote, with the photos below. Enjoy, thanks for listening, and I will try to share more soon! :)
(From 2/20)
I just took a quick blog break to go on a mini walkabout. Some of us were sitting around the table, when Linda suggested we go down to the classroom kitchen to see what the women were up to for tomorrow. After preparing and feeding almost 20 of us dinner, and cleaning up after, our wonderful kitchen staff headed over to the big kitchen to prepare food for the 100+ attendees of tomorrow's conference. Today, 2 goats and a whole mess of chickens graciously gave the ultimate sacrifice! I have some amazing photos, but as with the last trip, I will have to wait until I get home to post them. The classroom kitchen is a room in the cinder block school building, equipped with one lightbulb and a  charcoal fueled "stove". The women were all squatting on the ground, around various bowls and pots of meat and fruit. A couple of the women were peeling limes, while the rest were cutting up the goats. Levi, Linda and Joe's son-in-law, explained to me the incredible process of how they butcher the goats here. The hide is not useful in the tropics, but the skin and all other parts are eaten in various ways. Once the goat is killed and bled, a rod or stick is used on the leg to separate the fascia and hide from the meat. Children will then blow air up into the space, eventually separating the entire skin from the meat. Then the skin is boiled and the children use razor blades to shave the hair from the hide, before cooking it. Don't panic, I missed the show and will not be sharing any photos of this process...although, I admit, I am quite curious to see it!















Comments