9:30am Sunday 12/2
"The only thing constant is change." That's the theme of the day...week?
My original plan, to my knowledge, was to spend a little over a week here in Bwindi. The Nursing School Principal had organized a rigorous lecture schedule through the weekend even though the students start their exams tomorrow. When I relayed this information to the team, Kristen asked me to get some additional information from the Principal and/or the Director, in regards to the Ultrasound curriculum the school was using (designed by ITW) and related details. Friday morning, I stopped into the Admin office, to find the Principal and Director. and instead I found an Administrator who informed me that both the Principal and Director have left town and would not be returning until after exams. I also learned that no one in the office had been informed of my lecture schedule, which happened to conflict with numerous other events. Many questions were asked and answered, by both parties, and the end result was a long message to the ITWA team. This resulted in a dramatic change of plans, which is why I am flying back to Entebbe this afternoon, will then drive to Kampala for a meeting, then drive back to Gulu for some last minute work in the clinics before I leave Uganda. In the mean time I was able to squeeze in lovely 10 km hike into the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest yesterday. I wasn't able to get a permit for the Gorilla Trek, but the hike to the waterfalls was beautiful. The forest is so dense and lush, that you can hear all of this activity from birds and monkeys, but you can't necessarily see them! I have had such a wonderful experience staying at the Ride 4 a Woman Lodge, not just because of the gorgeous environment, but also because of the warm hospitality and impeccable service. I am going to make sure that I return here next year, for the Gorillas and the people. I am off to finish packing! Then my plan is to sit on the veranda and gaze out into the jungle until it's time to leave and get back to work.
Cheers! oxox MB













Comments