7am Wednesday 12/5
Good Morning! This week has been an office week, for which I am grateful. I have been catching up on lectures, sending and replying to emails, and sorting through pages of notes. Due to technical issues, our Gulu trip has been cancelled, and I will travel back to Nawenyago today instead. Nawenyago is where Sister Christine works, and I will be giving her a quick training on scanning and sending "sweeps". ITW has developed a protocol where the midwives take video clips (called Cine Sweeps) and send them to Radiologists in the USA for diagnosis and review. Until recently, Nawenyago has not had the internet connection, so I will spend a view hours of training, then we will drive back to Kampala. Yesterday, there were multiple conversations regarding who would be going to Nawenyago with me, based on whether Allan needed to stay behind to continue working on the Gulu Clinics, sending Renny in his place. Maybe I have gotten accustomed to Ugandan communication and react accordingly, maybe I am just a detail oriented planner, or maybe the fact that I don't have children does not prevent me from communicating like a Mom in a room filled with teenagers...
Me: Did someone call Sister Christine and let her know we are coming?
Guys: Ummmm...yea? We will call her.
Me: Okay, because she only scans on Tuesday, so she will need to get some patients.
Guys: Oh...yea...Tuesday. What's tomorrow?
Me: Wednesday. So you'll call her?
Guys: Yes, we will call her.
(Later that night, everyone has left, except Allan)
Allan: What time are you leaving tomorrow?
Me: I have no idea, that's up to you guys and no one let me know before they left.
Allan: Huh...okay, I'll call Picho.
(Many phone calls happen, start time is 7am)
This morning, I was up early, made some breakfast and was ready to go when Picho arrived...
Me: Good morning! Did someone call Sister Christine?
Picho: It's fine...
Me: What if we arrive and she's not there?
Picho: She'll be there. I will call her now.
(Short phone call)
Picho: Soooooo, Sister has some business in town and will be back at the clinic by 11am.
Me: (Giving Picho the "I told you so" look) Uh huh.
Picho: So, we don't need to leave for a few hours...
Me: Did you call Renny? (He is going with us)
Picho: I'll call him now...

And the earth shifted as Mother's everywhere gave a collective eyeroll! :) And that is how I have time to blog this morning. Gotta love these guys.
Only 2 more days in Uganda, then I fly to Dubai for the weekend. This trip has managed to feel long and fast, all at the same time. I have so much information packed into my brain and I am too tired to sort it all out. I think I have accomplished a lot, but there is always more to be done. I have lists and notes in multiple notebooks, scribbled down in haste in the middle of a training session, to remind me of ideas and projects I need to work on when I'm home. Whew.
In spite of my sadness at leaving the team, I am looking forward to a weekend in Dubai. I have multiple tours planned and the Tour Guide from the walking tour I took on my way here is meeting up with me on Saturday afternoon, for a boat cruise and dinner. "Wander with Nada" is a must, if you're planning a trip to Dubai! www.wanderwithnada.com  Nada is a wonderful guide and I'm thrilled to spend more time with her. I have already taken over 2,000 photos in Uganda, I might as well add a couple hundred more in Dubai. :)
I had better get back to those lists and notes!
oxox MB








Comments