8am Wednesday 11/21
After a 2.5 hour delay yesterday morning, we were finally able to get on the road to Nawanyago, arriving at 11:30am. This is the same clinic we visited with the Rotary members last week, and the first clinic ITWA worked with. Sister Angela was the first trainee, and she continued to train Sister Christine and is now getting her Masters in Ultrasound from a local college. I have returned to assess Sister Christin and give training, if needed. Sister Christine received her initial training from Sister Angela and has since been working with Shallon on a weekly basis. My immediate impression was how natural and confident a scanner Sister is, considering the limitations of her training compared with the consistency of training in the U.S., I was quite impressed. Sister Christin has been a Sister for 5 years and a Midwife for 3. She has been training in Ultrasound since last year and it was obvious to me that she has a natural affinity for patient care, midwifery and ultrasound. Every Tuesday, Shallon comes to Nawanyago to work with Sister, scanning Obstetric and Gynecologic patients. Because Sister is still considered a Trainee, she is not allowed to scan on her own and must have a Licensed Practitioner present. Due to our delay, patients were backed up outside her exam room, so we jumped in immediately to help her catch up. Sister scanned most of the OB patients, while I scanned patients who needed non-OB ultrasounds. She was incredibly receptive and grateful for my training input and I made sure to tell her how impressed I was with her current skill level. We were able to finish with her patients around 5:30pm, and I moved to the conference room to work on a number of ITWA side projects, while Sister found space for us all to spend the night. Shallon and I stayed in 2 rooms that are usually slept in by Midwives who are on delivery duty, and is 2 rooms away from the delivery rooms. At 9pm a woman in labor arrived on the back of a Boda, along with her young son, who immediately came to our door yelling for a Midwife. This happened multiple times throughout the night, and my room was situated closest to the door, so I am grateful that I don't have access to a mirror this morning...I'm sure I look quite the picture! I gave up around 5:30, got up and staggered out to the "washroom", then wandered around the clinic taking photos. Sister has arrived and is checking on the mothers who delivered in the night, as a few patients start to wander in from town. Another clinic day has started.
11:30am
I have finished training Sister Christine and now we are headed to the source of the Nile and Jinja, then back to Kampala...maybe a nap?? I'll wrap it up now, and try to take a breath, for tomorrow we are on the road to Mubende.
oxox MB











Comments