5:15am Friday Nov 2, Kampala
Good morning! I've been awake since 3:30am, and after reading in bed for awhile, I decided to get up and start working on lectures. My flight from Dubai was about 5.5 hours long, and packed with people. One thing I notice when traveling in other countries, is general flight etiquette, and the differences. The idea of "1 carry on and 1 personal item" seems to be lost on a lot of people, and it makes me wonder why I was so worried about the amount of luggage I could bring! :) Also, once the plane has landed but is still taxiing to the gate, people were getting up and gathering their items. I have been on domestic flights where the pilot actually stopped the plane, refusing to move, until everyone sat back down and buckled in. Compared to my Seattle-Dubai flight, this one was easy. Once in Entebbe, I made the mistake of getting into the wrong line to have my visa and passport checked, but that was quickly remedied. As the baggage started to arrive, passengers would grab a cart and push it up as close to the baggage carousel as they could get, one after the other. So, here we all are, 3 carts deep at the carousel, people throwing themselves at their luggage but unable to go anywhere once they've retrieved it. I would like to interject by thanking Costco for teaching me to be patient and mellow, in the face of long lines and throngs of people. ;) Once my luggage was collected, and sent through another security station, I was able to find my contact (Picho) outside of the airport. Picho is the Logistics Director for ITWA (Image The World Africa), and has been working with them for 10 years. We then drove to Kampala, and I was able to get a glimpse of Lake Victoria and giant Maribou Storks nesting in surrounding trees. I am here during a delayed Rainy Season, and everything is lush and green. As I write this, rain is falling heavy on the office roof, starting up suddenly, with a little thunder thrown in for drama. Last night and tonight I will be staying at the Kampala office, in one of a couple bed rooms that are available. Eddie and his 4 yr old son (Ryan) stay on the property in the evenings, for security. After meeting Allan and Collins, and getting a business phone and Wifi set up, I was left to sort a few of my things while Eddy made me a delicious, typical Ugandan dinner of basmati rice with fresh peas, cooked with tomato and onion. Today I will meet with sore staff members and we will discuss their plan for me while I am here. In the mean time, I'm going to keep working on lectures, and pinching myself, BECAUSE I'M IN AFRICA!!!
oxox  MB




Comments

Post a Comment