10am Thursday 11/29
In theory, I have internet access, however it is constantly disconnecting and reconnecting, to the point of frustration. I will say a silent prayer that it connects long enough to send this out.
I sat down to catch you all up on the past few days, and something fun and wonderful happened, so I'll start with that. Two nights ago, I met Herbert Byaruhanga, owner of a birding tour company www.birduganda.com. We compared camera equipment, chatted about Uganda, and ran into to each other a few times while he was staying here. He brought his bird tour group by Ride 4 a Woman this morning, and was chatting with me in the restaurant/lounge area while his tour shopped. He pulled out his phone to check the time and accidentally started playing a recording of a bird call, which was very loud. He apologized (I laughed), turned it off, then snapped his head around as he heard a call from outside. "THEY'RE ANSWERING!" he shouted, and ran out of the room, calling to his tour group. The excitement was palpable, as 2 gorgeous, brightly colored birds flew into our area, then flew off into the jungle. I have no idea what kind of bird it was, but it certainly made me consider becoming a birder! :)

Back to my original programming... Monday and Tuesday were assessment and training days at 2 unrelated clinics in the Kanungu district. At the Nyakatare Clinic I worked with a Sonographer named Moses (a very popular name in this area), who was enthusiastic and eager for more training. He was a confident and comfortable scanner, however they had a broken transducer, so he had been forced to turn away patients for the past week. We brought a transducer for him to use for the day, so OB patients quickly lined up and we ended up scanning patients until 7pm. There is a specific process and protocol the clinics must adhere to when requesting equipment or assistance and this clinic had not followed that protocol at the time of our visit, so we were not able to leave a transducer with them when we left. It is common for clinics and their participants to make assumptions about the funding and assistance available from ITWA, without understanding that we are a non profit with expenses of our own. These processes and protocols help prevent abuse of ITWA's generosity and create a sense of responsibility and ownership in the requesting party.
Tuesday, we went to Nyamwegabira clinic, and met with Moses (see, I told you it was a popular name!) and Wine (Win-ee). After introductions, we were informed of two problems they were having. One was quickly remedied with a phone call to our IT expert, Allan, and a patient reminder of the importance of clear and immediate communication hen a problem arises. The second, and larger problem, was the act that the clinic often loses power and the 2 battery packs they had been using have not been working for 8 months. This is a private clinic, run by the local church, with limited resources and no back up power system (solar or generator). Batteries cost around $550 US and Moses wanted to know if ITWA would buy them 2 new batteries, and the clinic could establish payments. Picho said he would discuss it with the Team, and I promised to mention it in my assessment. We were able to scan our first patient, then minutes into our second patient the power went out. It returned within the hour, we continued scanning, then the power went out again. And stayed out. For hours. I gave lectures until the battery on my computer ran out, and Picho and I left the clinic at close to 3pm. This is not an uncommon situation in Uganda, however some clinics have generator or solar power that allows the most vital areas of the clinic to keep going. This clinic was using a traditional machine, so it did not have battery back up, like the machines that ITWA are using and distributing. We left feeling powerless and frustrated, and got on the road to Bwndi.
Tuesday evening we arrived in Buhomo, on the edge of the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, at the Ride 4 a Woman Guest House and training Center. This is a remarkable non profit that offers training in a myriad of subjects (sewing, basket weaving, finances and microloans, bicycle repair, agriculture, etc...) to women who are affected by domestic violence. All proceeds from the Guest House, restaurant, and stunning crafts and textiles, go back into these programs. It's not only beautiful but inspiring. Once settled in to my beautiful room, Picho took me down the road (a 5 minute walk) to the Uganda Nursing School of Bwindi (gorgeous campus, photos below!), where I met the Principal (Jane). We agreed to meet Wednesday morning for a complete tour and to discuss my schedule for the week.
Jane was in a meeting when I arrived at the school, so an Assistant took me on a tour of the school and the Bwindi hospital, which was only a 10 minute walk. I was able to meet with Jane an hour later and my schedule was set. I would Lecture Wednesday afternoon, have Thursday morning to work on an additional subject lecture, lecture Thursday afternoon, all day Friday and Saturday, and Sunday morning. It's going to be a busy week!
In the mean time, I am nestled into the jungle where it is chilly in the morning, hot and humid in the afternoon, and cold enough for long sleeves and a wrap in the evening. The sound of singing birds is constant, interrupted only by visiting tours and the lively chatting of the women working nearby. I am set up in the open dining and lounging room, with a view of the jungle. It's distracting in the best way! I have a few hours to work on a new lecture, before I walk over to the school for my afternoon class, so I will sign off. Thanks for listening!
oxox MB









Comments