Wednesday afternoon 7/19
I had a long day yesterday, and was just too tired to write last night. Sorry! As is often the case on these trips, the plan and schedule that was designed after many phone conferences and emails, changes on a daily basis once I arrive. Every trip I am more prepared with my lecture material, but every trip there are requests for more information! It is such a relief having Robin here to assist with lectures, so I have a bit of a break. We meet in the conference room at 8am, Robin and I give lectures in the morning, then we divide into two groups for hands on training. I take half of the group to another Predisan clinic location, and Robin stays with the other half at the Central Predisan clinic. We originally planned on only one lecture in the morning, because the hands on experience is so important in Ultrasound, but they have all requested more lecture material. So, after a long day in the clinic, I met Robin back at the hotel, then Peter (one of our translators), along with an American student who is also volunteering at Predisan, picked us up and took us to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants. After another exceptional meal and the world's tiniest bill (photos below!), we headed back to the hotel, so I could get back to work. I went to sleep at 11:30p, but was back up and at it at 4:30am. The best part about staying up late and waking up early, is the sound of the town. The closing of shops, the farewell greetings, the sound of people headed home for the night. The birds and roosters waking up first, followed by the bus station gates being opened, the dogs barking, and the metal gates and doors opening to the neighboring shops. I love it. Even as I write this, I can here the machinist across the street welding and hammering, the bus stop has closed and locked the large iron gates, and the last vendor is putting his belts, hats, snacks, and sundries, into his bags, and preparing to wheel his cart home.
Today was a very emotional day for me. MTI has decided not to continue project activities in Honduras, after an assessment of all locations being served, in order to focus their efforts on the original calling of the organization - to respond to a world in which hearts are broken by suffering, especially during health emergencies caused by disasters and conflict. Strategically, I think this is a good decision, but it means that I will not be returning to Honduras in the near future. I have always told Predisan that I would be willing to return without MTI, but the planning would be more complicated. MTI wrote a lovely letter to Predisan, that they asked me to present to the Directors, planning staff, and participants at the clinic, as well as requesting that I speak to them about my personal experience with Predisan. Halfway through the letter, I knew I would not be able to speak without becoming emotional...I was right. These people, and this experience, have become so important to me. They inspire me so very much. To keep coming back, to keep going back to Haiti, to continue learning in order to share what I learn, to keep striving to be a better person in every aspect of my life. Their influence has been incredible. They responded with kind words, hugs, and the promise that they would always welcome me home, when and if I return. It was a sad, happy, emotional afternoon. The rest of the day continued as planned, with the groups switching out with Robin and I. I had made plans for Robin to go out with Ashley (our other wonderful, sweet translator, who is not quite 17), for shopping and dinner, while I return to the hotel for more work. Unfortunately, I found out that Robin has returned also, and is sick in her room. :( We have both come well equipped for travel illness, so I am hopeful that she will be able to recover at least by Friday.
So, here I sit, checking in with all of you. Tonight, I have 2 more lectures to work on, quizzes to grade, and rest to acquire. It looks like I will be the sole instructor tomorrow. Enjoy the photos, I hope I gave you a colorful glimpse into my surroundings. Adios!



























Comments