Monday 7/17
Robin and I were up early, starting our day with a typical Honduran breakfast of frijoles, cheese, fresh eggs, fried plantains, and avocado...my favorite breakfast EVER. We arrived at Predisan clinic shortly after 7am, attended the morning devotional with the clinic staff, and met up with our "students" at 8am. Seven medical professionals are being trained this year, four of whom I have trained in the past. The translators and Clinic Coordinator are new to Predisan, so we got off to a bit of a rocky start, and there were some gaps in the logistics. This was a little disappointing for me because I am all too aware that this is my last trip here and, as always, I am feeling the pressure of trying to teach as much information as possible in a short amount of time. I was prepared, and hoping, to hit the ground running, and utilize every second available to me. When I am on holiday, I absolutely love being in a relaxed, casual culture, forcing me to downshift from my usual nonstop high gear. I am, however, the first to admit that working in that environment makes me a little crazy! Despite the rough start, It was wonderful reconvening with my crew from the last two trips. Although I have mentioned countless times how much I love the warmth, kindness and genuine demeanor of Honduran people, I am still amazed by it when I come here. Robin and I were very pleased to find that we approach teaching in a very similar fashion, which makes my job here so much easier. We met in Montana about 3 years ago, when I was still working a "normal" Ultrasound job and Robin was a Travel tech at my hospital. We became friends and members of the Mutual Admiration Society :) and have been talking for quite awhile about going on a Medical Mission together. I gave 2 lectures this morning, and after lunch we began the hands-on training, eventually splitting into 2 smaller groups. I went to another clinic with a couple of the attendees, where Dr. Erick Cerna is now the director and performing ultrasounds on his own. Dr. Erick has been the Star Student of this training program, investing extra time and money to attend additional Ultrasound Training in El Salvador in between my trips here. He is one of my favorite people here, and you can return to my post on Friday, October 21, 2016 for a good photo of us. Seeing his progression and passion inspires to continue this work. Robin and I eventually met back at the hotel, debriefed over a glass of wine on our patio area, and were rewarded with Papusas for dinner. Yes...I will be gushing over the food again. I can't help it! Every time I come here, I end up with a couple of days of pancreatitis, most likely caused by the high fat diet that I am not accustomed to. My goal this time is to find a balance between enjoying the heavenly cuisine and avoiding the excruciating epigastric pain that comes with it. Wish me luck! Robin and I went through tomorrows lectures, made some adjustments, and have retired to our rooms. It's rainy season here, which means more mosquitos, but also cooler temperatures and a light breeze. I have my favorite room on the 2nd floor, facing the street, so I can wake up with the town in the morning and watch the last vendor close up shop in the evening. It's a lovely way to end the evening. Hasta maƱana!










Comments