Friday 7/21 11:15pm
Wow...what a busy couple of days! The hardest part about writing this blog is remembering everything and not being too tired to write about it. There is also the challenge of going on this trip with a friend whom you keep in touch with, but haven't seen in person for years! By the time Robin and I head to our rooms at the end of the day, it's usually time to hit the sack. Yesterday was another day of lectures in the morning and hands on training in the afternoon. Robin was feeling much better (thanks to the magic of Cipro!) and took most of the group to an exam room to scan a pregnant patient after lunch. One of the Dr's had arrived late, so I took some extra time to cover the morning's lectures with him. On the very first day of training, I always have the trainees take a Pre Test about Ultrasound. On the last day, they retake the quiz, and I compare the two. This is a great way for me to be sure that my teaching methods are working and also ensures that key points are not being missed in translation. Once Robin was finished, the group took the test, I graded them all and we all discussed any missed questions. I asked them all for suggestions and opportunities for improving my training, then we spent a lot of time hugging each other and thanking each other for our time and hard work. It's a real love-fest! :) Peter had been talking all week about taking Robin and I up the mountains to the archeologic caves, Cuevas de Talgua. I had tried to visit the caves on my first trip, but they had been closed.Alex, our driver, took Robin, Ashley, Peter and I, back to the hotel for a quick change, and away we went. The ride up to the caves is gorgeous, and we stopped at a roadside cafĂ© for homemade Tamalitos de Elote, sweet corn tamales, covered in a rich, salty crema sauce the Hondurans call montequilla. They were delicious, of course. Well, the caves were closed. Again. We gave Peter such a hard time, all in good sport, and we headed back down the mountain. Instead, they decided to take us to another Tilapia restaurant in the countryside of a neighboring town...which was also closed! We did manage to talk the owner into bringing us fresh coconuts and a huge bunch of Mamones, still on the branches. Mamones are Spanish lime, which I used to eat when I lived in the Caribbean, and we called them skin-ups. So, after a hilarious dinner of coconuts, mamones and wonderful conversation, we headed back to the hotel for the night. This morning we were up early, and the plan was that our driver would arrive at 7am and we would drive up into the mountain village of Culmi, about an hour away. This is where another Predisan clinic is located, that I visit on every trip, and where Dr. Erick Cerna used to work before he took over the additional clinic in Catacamas. A torrential downpour and flooded streets delayed our departure, but we eventually made it. We spent the morning working with Dr. Mauricio, who has been training with us all week. He has been working on Ultrasound with Dr. Erick, has taken over his place at the Women's clinic in Culmi, and has been one of our best trainees this week. We took a break for lunch, and drove to a nearby restaurant...which was closed. Yes...we gave Peter a hard time. We headed back into town, found another restaurant that was open, but didn't have food. Seriously. More hard time for Peter, and much laughter. We had just found another place to eat, when Peter received a call saying we had to drive back to Catacamas, to bring back Blake (the young American EMT student), and the whole afternoon plan disintegrated. I won't bore you with the details of the rest of the chaotic afternoon, but this evening we were able to meet up with most of the Predisan group for dinner, and a birthday celebration for on of the Directors. Dinner was delicious, as expected, and the company was wonderful. Everyone was talking about Robin and I returning next year, so I guess there was no point in me worrying about not coming back! :D So, more hugs and thanks were shared, Robin and I finally made it back to the hotel, we completed some paperwork for Predisan, packed our bags, and I will be up in 5 hours for another long day of travel. Another successful trip. Another week of incredible memories. Whew. Buenas Noches!


























Comments