Saturday 2/21

So far, no internet access...
This morning greeted me in true Haitian style, a 4:15am wake up call from the rooster and donkey alarm clocks. I stayed in bed, drifting in and out of sleep, listening to the critters of Terre Blanche come to life, and finally headed to the roof at around 5:15am to appreciate the cacophony first hand. It was quite windy this morning, with a cloud cover that has kept the temperature in the 70s and low 80s today. After an early breakfast, we all headed downstairs to the clinic, to prepare for the conference. The event is open to Haitian medical professionals of all levels, and a small group of RNs were already waiting to register. The proposed starting time was at 8am, but that's American time, which is quite different from Haitian time. One of the roadblocks to Haitians getting anywhere in a timely manner, is the fact that many of them are dependent on other people and rarely have their own mode of transportation. They also do not necessarily have the funds to pay for buses or motorcycle taxis. Traveling 10 miles on many of the roads can take anywhere from 30-60 minutes, depending on weather and road conditions. By the middle of the second lecture, the room was full of RNs, Drs, midwives, and clinical workers. This morning was the first time I've seen Dr. Avril and Mme. Bluette (the Dr. and Midwife I was training on my last trip) since I got here. Both of them welcomed me hugs, smiles, more hugs, and general exclamations of joy in Creole. It was wonderful! I am so happy to be back here. 

Two patients required an ultrasound this afternoon, during the conference, so I was pulled away to scan. It's going to be great working with such a talented group of professionals, I hope my brain can keep up. When all of the lectures were finished, a group photograph was taken of all of the attendees, a Certificate of completion was given to them, and the food prepared the night before was dished out. Eventually, everyone filed into their prospective modes of transport, and we all headed upstairs for our late afternoon meal.  

As of this afternoon, the Internet is officially dead in the water. Supposedly, someone has sent for a technician to come out and fix it. I think, by now, you understand the Haitian timeframe...we MIGHT have Internet by the time I leave! ;) 

Comments