Monday 2/26/24

Hello from Uganda!

Forgive any upcoming errors, I am posting from my phone because I cannot get Wi-Fi or hotspot to work on my computer. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

My flight left Istanbul Sunday evening at 7:05 p.m., stopping in Kigali to drop off a few people and pick up a few more, then arriving at the Entebbe airport at 4:50 a.m. I have never been able to sleep on planes, at least not without the help of a large horse tranquilizer, and this flight was no different. The airport was not It's usual chaotic self because of the early hour, but that also gave baggage security a little more time to focus on the excessive number of bags and supplies that I was carrying.

So picture if you will, an exhausted sweaty traveler (It is the hot and rainy season here, like being hit with a wet wool blanket as soon as you step off the plane!), who is now being questioned about the large number of bags that she is bringing into the country. The mini printers came up looking very suspicious, they thought I was bringing phones into the country to sell, and a large number of the other supplies looked equally odd coming through the conveyor belt. They wanted to look in ALL of my bags and I was not a happy camper. It is very common for airport security to demand a "tax" on items or threaten confiscation. I started by opening the two large bags filled with towels, and the conversation went like this....
Security: What are these?
Me: Surgical towels. I donate them to clinics.
Security: They look new, You cannot bring in new items without an invoice. Where is your invoice?
Me: They are not new, I've collected them from the hospitals where I work. They are donated.
Security: You cannot bring in used items to Uganda. 
(This is where they usually start the hustle for a tax)
Me: They are not dirty and they are not used (a slight fabrication, but no more so than the tax he was threatening). When surgical packs are opened up, they are no longer sterile. If the doctors don't use the towels they throw them away, so I collect them and bring them here.
Security: You cannot bring these here. (Let the hustle commence!)
Me: That's ridiculous. I bring towels every time I come here, this is not my first visit. (Resting bitch face activated!)
Security: *staring at me*
Me: *staring back*

And then a guardian angel arrived in the form of a young Ugandan man who lives in the states but has returned to visit family! He started arguing with security on my behalf, explaining that they throw these things away all the time at hospitals in the states and that I was doing something good for Uganda and why was he giving me a hard time. Meanwhile, the guard asked him to open his bag as well, and it was loaded down with sneakers to give to friends and family! 😂 As security started to hassle him in a good natured manner, I quickly threw the bags back onto my cart and made a run for the exit, not giving him a chance to look in my other bags! I could hear someone calling out behind me and I decided to just push through the door and completely ignore him. Once through the door the young man caught up with me and we both started laughing about the whole experience. He asked where I was from, we had a quick chat, and then we both went our ways. Picho was waiting for me outside the main door and when I explained what went down, we both started laughing and telling each other we had better run fast in case they decide to come after me.
It was almost 6:30 a.m. by the time we got on the road and I arrived in Kampala at 7:00 a.m. I only had 3 hours to unpack the supplies, shower and change, have a quick meeting with the available team, then repack for 5 days of work with the Bulamu surgical team. Picho, Allan and I were out the door at 10:00 a.m., stopping off at the ATM, grabbing some samosas along the way, and then Allan and I joined a few members of the Bulamu team for a 3-hour drive to Mayuge. Mind you, I'm going on day two without sleep. 
Samosas from a favorite shop


We arrived at the medical site, spent about 30 minutes on some quick introductions, and then Allan argued on my behalf to go back to the hotel so I could get a bit of a rest.





Thank goodness there's a mosquito net around the bed and they found a fan for my room, but it barely stirs the air. I was out like a light for about an hour and a half and forced myself awake so that Allan and I could have some dinner. Unfortunately, most of their menu was meat based, so I ended up having a well-rounded meal of chips (french fries), white rice, and "gravy", a light tomato sauce with peppers and onions. So now I am lying on my rock hard bed, carbo loaded, listening to the thunder pass over without blessing us with nearly enough rain, and trying to catch you all up before I get some well-needed sleep. 
Lightening in Mayuge


Just another typical day in Uganda for me! 😂 
It sounds like I will be working very long hours at the surgical camp, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to keep in touch this week, but I will be back in the office Saturday evening and will play catch up on Sunday.
Much love to everyone, 
Jo/MB


Comments

  1. Oh the adventures you have. We had SIX inches of surprising snow last night. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment