Sunday, 2/25/2024

Good morning from Istanbul!

My last day in Istanbul, before flying to Uganda tonight. I have spent every waking moment exploring this beautiful city, but I thought the least I could do is check in and share some photos. :) Where do I begin?? How about breakfast...



Turkish Breakfast is a glorious thing to behold with something for everyone! As someone who leans towards savory, the olives, cheeses, fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, along with a variety of breads, is a dream come true for me. There is plenty to satisfy the sweeter palate, beautiful jams and pastries, and especially  bal-kaymak; honey with Turkish clotted cream...so divine! My hotel, DeCamondo Galata, is a lovely 5-star boutique hotel owned by Marriott, recommended by my tour guide friend in Dubai. I am sure that there are cheaper options to be found, although the cost is comparable to many mid-level hotels that I have stayed at in the states, but the accommodations, staff and location really elevate this hotel. So much within walking distance, metro and ferry station, Galata bridge, Galata tower with local surrounding shops, but just enough distance from the noise of the city. My room had a lovely little balcony, so my day started with the sound of a slowly waking city and sunrise and ends with beautifully lit buildings. 

View from the rooftop breakfast restaurant

Evening view from my balcony

The sister hotel, on my way to the rooftop wine bar

Galata Tower

One of the best things about this part of Istanbul is how easy it is to walk everywhere, although the metro is also very convenient. Every morning, I walk 2 blocks to the Galata bridge and walk over to the "Old" European side of town, and there are constantly running ferries that travel between the "New" European neighborhood (Galata/Beyoglu), "Old" European neighborhood (where the historical sites are located, Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, etc...) and Kadiköy, the "Asian" neighborhood. My walking food tour (Taste of Two Continents on Viator) started in the old neighborhood and concluded in Kadiköy. My second day was spent exploring the Basilica Cistern, Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque, with an evening on a Traditional Turkish Meal tour (Experience in Fatih on Air BnB Experiences) beginning in Old town and ending in Galata. Yesterday, I took a walking tour of Street Art in Kadiköy (Alternative Istanbul: Street Art Tour on the Asian Side on Withlocals App) then walked around Galata in the evening. My feet are exhausted, but my heart and belly are content! 

A view of Yeni Cami Mosque from the Galata bridge





Kadiköy


Hagia Sophia

Basilica Cistern



Blue Mosque


A few words about the world-famous Cats of Istanbul...To fully understand the cultural love that Istanbul has for it's cats, I suggest you watch the Documentary "Kedi". This is also a charming article:

The City That Loves Cats

The history that Istanbul has with cats goes back thousands of years, but I think the best explanation was from my hostess at the hotel "Our cats are like the cats from Egypt thousands of years ago...they are worshipped here, and they know it!" 😍 The cats (and dogs) here are not considered strays, they are part of the community!






I have a few hours before I have to check out of the hotel and go to the airport, so I will sign off and go explore some more! Wishing you all the very best and thank you for joining me in beautiful Istanbul. 💗

Much love, Jo/MB


Comments

  1. thank YOU for inviting us to share in your love of beautiful Istanbul! Your photos, as usual, are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your wonderful journey in Istanbul.
    Love your photos and of course your wonderful written blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment