Wednesday, March 1, Day one of travel...
It's 10:40pm and I am finally checked into my Hotel in Miami. I am sharing a room with 2 other women, and all of our flights were delayed and changed. We have to be up at 3am, and back at the airport in time to meet everyone else for the last leg of our trip to Port Au Prince. I wrote the following this morning, when we were waiting for a mechanic at the Portland airport.

I'm on a full plane to Dallas, delayed enough that I will most likely miss my connection to Miami (*I did!). I'm sure that the airline will sort the details, and I was prepared for 2 long days of travel, so this disruption doesn't change much for me...except that I will miss out on Cuban food for dinner! I'm loaded up with Clif bars and fruit snacks, which will have to suffice. I managed a somewhat solid 3 hours of sleep last night, gave up at the idea of more at around 3 am, and ended up at the airport with hours to spare. I'm anxious to get into this trip. My anxiety has been getting the better of me these days, increasing in intensity as the trip has gotten closer. I've been working as a traveler for 8 months, 2 contracts, and it is such a good fit for me. Every 3 or 4 months there are new people to meet, new hospitals with different equipment, a constant challenge to learn new things and keep my skills sharp. It's a good fit for a rowdy brain. So far, I have been able to fit my Medical trips in between my contracts, which is one of the main reasons for me becoming a Traveler. On this break, however, I have more time off than usual. I always save money to cover my downtime, but this time I have been worrying about having saved enough to cover my bills. My sudden dependency on my family is a small, smooth stone in the pit of my stomach. Like a river rock that you carry in your pocket and rub with your thumb, both comforting and worrisome in it's weight and presence. I will be in Haiti for almost 2 weeks, so trying to set up a contract before leaving has been challenging and unsuccessful. I will have to hit the ground running when I get home. I will continue to (very gratefully) room with my folks. Again. (Thanks mom and dad! :) ) Did I save enough money to carry me through March? I think I did. Did I?? What kind of contract will I find? How long will it take me to get it? Where will I go next? In that respect, at least, I can be excited. I am always excited for a new adventure and I am open to going almost anywhere if the contract is a good fit. But right now, I'm on the plane. There is nothing for me to do about my next contract. With every mile behind me, with every exhale, I try leave behind my anxiety about work. I'm returning to Haiti, after 2 years, and I know the time will pass much faster than I like. This team will be a mix of friends and strangers, good moments and hard moments, and a different kind of anxiety. I will be anxious to do a good job, see as many patients as possible, teach as well as I can, and be the best human I can be, Anxiety is my Super Power and I must strive to use my powers for good instead of evil! :) At the end of the day, it's all any of us can do. It is not looking like I will have much Wifi access in Haiti, but I will write every evening, while the details of the day are fresh in my Monkey Brain. I will take a ridiculous number of photographs, trying to capture the beauty and magic of Haiti. I will share everything as soon as I am able. Keep us all in your thoughts! Thanks for your support and especially thanks for listening. Much love, Jo (aka MB)

Comments