There is always a dilemma when I return to Haiti... what do I bring as gifts? This is more complicated than it seems. Many of us have forged friendships with the people we see in Terre Blanche, we certainly have a deep affection for the village, as a whole. We want to bring gifts for the people we care about, and especially for the children, but there is a lot to consider. There is something to be said for giving someone a gift that is ornamental, as well as practical. I'm a gift-giver, and even small presents show someone that you're thinking of them. I want to give them something that makes them joyful, but in a developing country like Haiti, I also want to be respectful of the financial and environmental impact my gift may have. Practical gifts, like shoes, can be bought by local vendors, which also helps the vendor make a living. And how do you think about presents, when people are not getting enough food on a daily basis? Part of the funds raised for each trip, are used to purchase rice and beans, to be handed out to the poorest families in the village. The rice and beans are purchased in Haiti, providing income for local farmers, as well as feeding those in need. On every trip to Haiti, team members receive an orientation packet, which also includes extra supplies to bring to the Haitians. This year, it was suggested that we bring fabric for the women's Trade School, and sunglasses. In the 2 years since my last trip, some of the women in Terre Blanche have started a Gift Shop business, selling handmade bags, aprons, jewelry, and other gifts. Most of the supplies are purchased at a craft store in Port au Prince, but extra fabric and sewing supplies are always appreciated. The sunglasses turned out to be pure genius, and my new tradition, when I return to Terre Blanche. My cousins sent a donation package, and I made a Dollar Store run, so I was able to bring over 30 pairs of sunglasses with me. It is the Perfect Storm of gift giving, because they are decorative AND practical...and in high demand, as I learned! They were quite handy as post exam morale boosters, for some of the kids, and the results were heartwarming...


















Comments