Sunday 3/3/24

I woke up a few times through the night, but overall slept better than I have all week. I had the place to myself for a few hours, before Eddie and Rian started moving. They sleep in a small room near the front gate of the property, using the headquarters (which is a 4-room house with complete kitchen) for everyday living.

Yesterday I collected my dirty laundry, which I pay Eddie to wash for me, and this morning I was able to finally organize all of my things in my room. I wanted to get some work done today, but once Rian is awake, all bets are off! πŸ˜‚ It started raining for a bit (thank goodness!), so I started a movie to watch with Rian and edited some photos from Bulamu on my phone. 

Fun fact about me, which some of you may already know, is that I cannot eat meat/poultry. Fish is fine, thank goodness, but I finally had to give up eggs about 4 or 5 years ago, and I have only recently been able to get the flu shot now that there is an eggless vaccine. Certain friends call me the "worst vegetarian ever" (you know who you are!) because I abhor eggplant, any type of squash, and especially bell peppers...yes, even the yellow and red ones! I feel that I am unjustly considered a picky eater (insert sarcastic indignation), when I have tried, and enjoy, a lot of food in Uganda. I will admit that I am grateful for an easy out when I am offered goat, which is common here. 😁

The hotel where we stayed had a very extensive menu, or so it seemed. It turned out they were out of almost everything, except for chicken. Every night. For 5 nights. My first evening, all they could offer me was white rice and chips (French fries). Two of the nights, Allan managed to talk them into getting fish (which was DELICIOUS), because we saw it in the town, caught fresh for Market Day. Otherwise, I was glad I brought some Clif Bars and I'm officially maxed out on chips. Lunch of traditional Ugandan food was served at the Surgical Camp, and I loved the look on their faces when I asked for Matoke and G-nut (Peanut sauce). 

So, here is a fun post about all of the food I have been enjoying so far!

Tilapia, fried and so delicious! Rice AND chips, because carbs.

Palau rice, Matoke with G-nut, green beans (incredibly fresh and crunchy) and watermelon.

Matoke: steamed green bananas.

My favorite combo; Palau, beans and posho (dense cornmeal made from corn flour), and a surprise...


These little suckers were new to me, so I had to try them. They are a type of African Eggplant (SEE?!? I tried eggplant!), also known as Bitter Berries...and they are HORRIBLE! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I attempted two forkfuls and gave up, swearing to never try them again, much to Allan's delight. They supposedly have a number of health benefits, but I have chosen to die early.  

Uganda is ideal for growing tea!

I am blessed to be here when mangoes, watermelon and pineapple are in season!

I am not a soda drinker, but I love Stoney, a ginger soda that is a bit spicy. 

Fresh pineapple! Yummmmmmm.

Allan and I were talking about how much we love popcorn and how popular it is here in Uganda, so like the true friend that he is, he sent some over today! Caramel and salty. Not all heroes wear capes!


I have managed to bribe Rian to go play long enough to type this out, but we have a hot date to watch Shark Tales tonight, so I will sign off. This week will be admin stuff, buying supplies, and preparing for my 3-week road trip to Gulu District. I have more photos to share, so I will get to that as well. 
Wishing you all well!

Much love, Jo/MB

Comments

  1. Thanks, Jo! Great as usual. (I don't know how you manage to do all this documenting AND all the work AND entertain your little friend at the same time!) xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian is a young man of MANY questions! πŸ˜‚

      Delete
  2. I love all of this! I read a lot of it to Rob. Crazy good stuff. Take care of yourself over there. Can't wait to read more. πŸ’•πŸ™‚

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment