Hello, dear followers...It's time to shake the cobwebs out of the blog and get back at it!
As usual, I have been busy since returning from my last trip. I returned home last December, worked locally through January, then took off for a travel contract. My timing was excellent and I returned to Whidbey Island, which was my very first contract as a Travel Sonographer. I took an extension on my contract, and will stay on the island until the first week of August. I have loved Whidbey from the moment I stepped onto the island 3 years ago, so it's wonderful to be back. I will return home in August and prepare for a return trip to Africa in September. ITW has received a generous donation to send someone to train in Malawi, so I will spend a couple weeks there, before my return to Uganda. There have been some dramatic set-backs for ITW and the Uganda Team, the biggest being that they did not receive the Grants that they were hoping for. These Grants not only help pay the salaries of the Uganda Team, but they also helped pay for my expenses last year. I made the decision to return to Uganda, so I will be paying for the trip with donations and out of pocket. I have also decided to stay for 2 months, which will (hopefully!) allow for extended training at the clinics. Precarious funding means I cannot guarantee my return visits, which means added pressure for me to make every moment of training count, and the hope that extended training will ensure more independence when I leave. I have started my online fundraising, and sent out my donation letters, and have been saving as much as possible, so I'm on the right track. The phone, email, and WhatsApp communications are increasing with ITW, and I am suddenly feeling like 3 months is not enough time to get everything done! One of my goals/projects is to print notes from all of my lectures, creating a notebook for each of the people I train. KKD (Dr. Kristen) is taking a team of Med students to Uganda in a few weeks, so she will be able, to take the notebooks with her and they will be waiting for me when I arrive. I had already made the decision to pay for the printing, but was at a loss as to how to transport the heavy notebooks. Having KKD's team take them is a relief, but I have to get the printing sorted by next week. Yikes! We are also still working on creating a training school in Kampala, as well as designing a volunteer program for Sonographers. I will be conducting the 2nd Step phone interview with Volunteers, and have an appointment with a potential volunteer this afternoon. So much to do, and my Monkey Brain is in high gear. My counter is full of sticky notes and lists, reminding me of everything I hope to accomplish, and a feeble attempt to organize my chaotic thoughts. So, I have caught you up on the future plan and should probably get back at it. :)

 As always, my ability to volunteer relies on the generosity of individuals like you. Here are a few ways you can help...
Make a donation to Imaging The World at www.imagingtheworld.org. With changing tax laws, specifically regarding tax free donations, many nonprofit organizations are at risk of losing funding, and they need help now more than ever.
Make a direct donation to help pay for my expenses to return to Uganda, including room, board and transportation costs. Your donation is kept in a separate account and will go directly towards any expenses specific to my work with ITW. You can mail a check to Jo Clancy PO Box 874191, Vancouver, WA 98687. I can also accept a payment via Venmo, PayPal and Messenger.
Show your support by following and sharing this blog, my FB Page (Monkeybrainmusings) and my Instagram Account (Monkey_brain_musings).

 I will leave you with some of my favorite photos from my time here on Whidbey Island and promise to keep you posted on my upcoming trip. Please share my story with others, and as always, thank you for your time and continuing support. I am eternally grateful! Onward!
oxox MB







Comments