The flight is booked. It's real. I'm leaving for Uganda October 29th, returning December 10th. There is an emotional dust devil inside of me, destined to become an F5 Tornado by the time I board the plane in 11 weeks. I've got to figure out how to reign it in...you know, use my powers for Good instead of Evil. :) I have so much to do, but I am reminded and grateful for my prior trips to Haiti and Honduras. Haiti was a constant lesson on how to proceed when nothing goes as planned, whereas Honduras was an example of the progress that can be made when your plan works. I am sure that I will need both as I move forward in Uganda. Last month I had a phone conference with a woman who is currently living and working in Uganda, for ITW, and Dr. DeStigter. During this phone conference, it was suggested that I stop working on my training lectures and curriculum, because someone had come forward and offered up their existing curriculum, from an accredited Ultrasound program. The plan was that I would just modify the existing curriculum, which would save time. It was also determined that the woman working in Uganda (Let's call her GG) was better suited for the technical aspects of training (equipment knowledge, etc...), and I would handle the clinical aspects. GG was going to send me the training material she was using, which she had put together herself, and that would give me an idea of what I was stepping into. So, here I am, weeks later. No curriculum, no training material, no surprise. I hesitate to share all of this, because I am not trying to slam this wonderful NGO, that I truly believe is doing amazing work. But it's a blog, it's my Monkey Brain Musings, an opportunity to give the monkeys a voice. And many of you have been here since the beginning, with the chaos, the failures, the successes, and everything in between. Running a Non Profit is hard, disgustingly hard. Dr. DeStigter is trying to run the Radiology department of an immense teaching hospital AND run an organization that is on the other side of the planet, with many working parts. I am trying to spend a large part of my free time, and my own money, working with organizations who are trying to make the world a better place. I'm also trying to work as much as possible to be able to afford to do this, and somehow come up with the brain power to put together training material as well. So it's all hard work, and we should all keep doing it. But in the mean time, I still don't have the promised information. I like to refer to myself as a Pragmatic Romantic, in life and relationships. I love the idea of everything working out beautifully, but I am prepared for chaos. So, I'm back to working on my own curriculum. I had decided to wait a month, to see if I would hear back from them, and now it's time to get back to work. The dust devil is picking up speed!

In a few more weeks, I will get the rest of my vaccines, thanks to a number of donations that have come in since my last request. THANK YOU! You all should know by now that none of this would be possible without your emotional and financial support. I have been accumulating supplies, luggage and gear, with excited anticipation of 6 weeks in Uganda. As always, I am restless. This is the first time in 2 years that I have stayed in one place for more than my usual 13 week contract. I've been working locally, per diem, which has allowed me to be closer to my much loved friends and family. It's a wonderful time to be in the PNW, and I love it here, but my restlessness is proof that traveling suits me best. My constant feeling of always being a bit of an outsider, intruding in the established lives of others, doesn't feel as bad when I am travelling on my own. When I'm home, I want to spend every minute with my people, but I feel clingy and pushy and awkward. When I'm away, missing my people is the biggest drawback, but I am less restless inside. Ugh. Monkeys in my Brain. You would think my degree in Zoology would better prepare me for this! :D Basta! Enough rambling. Time to get back to work.
Thanks for listening! (Epic group High-Five!)
OXOX, MB


Please feel free to send donations, gift cards, love notes to
PO Box 874191
Vancouver, WA 98687



Comments