Hello and let the countdown begin!

This Thursday I will be back on a plane, heading towards Uganda. Yikes! I have lists and notes to myself all over the place and I will start the packing process as soon as I finish here. I am feeling incredibly grateful and lucky to have Rachel and MHI (Mother Health International) taking care of all of the transportation details, especially since the main bridge over the Nile River is closed down for repairs. Planning an alternative route will add hours to the drive, which they are figuring out for me. 

In the meantime, I have finished the new curriculum, made another visit to the Travel Clinic to update my Typhoid vaccine, picked up my Malaria meds, applied for and received my travel Visa, and started piling supplies on my dining room table. Thanks to the incredible generosity of friends and family (Kathy & Jim, Arnold, and Steven), on top of the medical expenses, I was also able to order more rain ponchos for the midwives and will pack an extra bag full of solar lamps. I also have some wonderful baby hats and blankets! Thank you all SO MUCH. 💖

20 more rain ponchos for the midwives.






Beautiful crochet hats, dolls and blankets from my friend Melissa, and a
box full of hats from my knitting group on Whidbey.
More solar lamps!

I will leave Thursday evening and arrive in Dubai late Friday night, spend the night and fly to Entebbe the following day. Allan has offered to pick me up at the airport (Picho is out of town, so I will miss seeing him) and I will spend the night in Kampala, then take Sunday and Monday to drive north. Training starts on Tuesday morning! Susan and Dinnah work at the Birth Center, so they will set up my training room for the new group, saving me a little time. 

Susan, Eunice, Dinnah and I 😍

As most of you already know, my ability to keep blogging while I'm in Uganda is completely dependent on the magic of Wi-Fi, but I am bringing a router along...so fingers crossed! I can't wait to see everyone at the Birth Center again and I promise to send photos as much as possible. 

As always, I am grateful to have you all along on this adventure and I couldn't do it without you. 

Much love, Jo (MB)

Comments

Post a Comment